Ynysddu Primary School Logo
 Phone : (01495) 200223


 Address : Ynysddu Primary School, High Street, Ynysddu, NP11 7JH

Our Bee Hive

                        

    

                                   Welcome to Our Bee Hive!

                         Click on the bee to see our wonderful website!           

                                        Related image

- Our bee hive was set up in 2016 by Sirhowy Valley Honeybee Company.

 - They installed one colony of Honeybees and then proceeded to rear two more Honeybee queens for a total of three hives.

- Each hive in the peak of summer will house roughly 50,000 Honeybees.

 - Children come from all over Caerphilly to visit our bees and the sessions take 15 children and lasts approximately 2 hours.

Our Ynysddu Bee Project came about as a result of our school applying to be part of the Arts Council for Wales Lead Creative School Scheme. This scheme aims to promote new ways of working in schools, providing the opportunity for schools to develop an innovative and bespoke programme of learning designed to improve the quality of teaching and learning by working with Creative Practitioners.

 

Our school applied and got accepted to undertake a Lead Creative Project. The focus for our project was to improve Oracy and Collaboration through a creative curriculum that involved creating content for a bespoke website (this one!) to promote our own Bee Education Centre. The plan was for our combined class of 22 pupils (from Year 3 and Year 4) to plan and create the content with Mr Bentley and the Creative Practitioners for this project, our Beekeeper Lorne East from Sirhowy Valley Honey Company, and our Digital Competence Creative Practitioner Sangeet Bhullar from WISE KIDS.

- The results were fantastic! They are as follows;

 

62% of the children rated the project 10 out of 10 for enjoyment with a further 24% giving it a 9 out of 10.

 

86% of children said they would love to take part in another LCS project – the other 14% were all on IEPs and the project really pushed their comfort zones.

 

95% of children felt that the project had helped them work better with their friends.

 

62% of children directly named practical activities with Lorne as being their favourite part with only 14% listing digital based activities.