The curriculum is changing and here at Ynysddu Primary School we are working towards incorporating the four purposes of the new curriculum and are attempting to ensure that we mould all of our students in to:
- Ambitious, capable learners who are ready to learn throughout their lives.
- Enterprising, creative contributors who are ready to play a full part in life and work.
- Ethical, informed citizens who are ready to be citizens of Wales and the world.
- Healthy, confident individuals who are ready to lead fulfilling lives as valued members of society.
Curriculum content: Areas of Learning and Experience
At Ynysddu we strive to deliver lessons that are in line with the new curriculum and fall in to the following six areas of learning. Click any of the icons to dowload a copy of the new curriculum guidance for yourselves.
Together with the School Council, we have designed curriculum mascotts that will help all children achieve elements of the four purposes. They are as follows;
· Ambitious Aneurin is always up for a challenge. He is not scared of hard work and remains dedicated regardless of the task. Aneurin likes to question the normal practices and seeks alternative ways to solve problems and work together. He is always on the lookout for exciting things to learn and makes sure he uses these new skills throughout every element of his life. Aneurin wants to continue to build on his skills as he grows up and encounters new challenges.
· Creative Carys is very unique. She has a wonderful way of dealing with tricky situations and works her hardest to solve problems by thinking outside of the box. Carys is also an entrepreneur, looking at situations with an eye for profit and money making. Carys can be relied on to design products that are unique and solve problems that others shy away from. Creative Carys is full of imaginative ideas and presents her work in a way that she thinks is appropriate and special.
· Ethical Enfys is a superhero of the modern world. She is aware of different situations, cultures and beliefs and this allows her to deal with problems in a very unique way. Enfys considers everyone’s opinions and this allows her to gather as much information as possible making her extremely powerful. She has very strong ties to Wales and is eager to pass on her powers of the Welsh language to others. Enfys is always excited to learn about Wales and the wider world, teaching others about diverse values and principles.
· Healthy Huw enjoys living a healthy and active lifestyle. He is aware of the different food groups that make up a balanced diet and spreads the word on the importance of fighting fats. Huw has a confident but yet peaceful personality and believes strongly in reducing the amount of stress that people place on themselves so that they’re always at their happiest. He deals with conflict in a resolving calm manner and takes everyone’s opinions and perceptions in to account before making decisions. Huw talks about his problems and encourages others to do the same.